NEED TO KNOW
Winning takes more than just putting the puck in the net. It takes physicality, sacrifice and most importantly unselfish play, all characteristics that Philadelphia Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds possesses. The rigors of a condensed NHL season have shown no ill-effects on the 24 year-old forward who has recorded 15 points (7 goals and 8 assists) along with 44 penalty minutes and 22 hits in his first 17 games of the season. During this past week, Wayne recorded three goals and four assists in four games, while the Flyers earned three victories over the Jets, Penguins and Islanders, moving them into ninth place in the Eastern Conference standings. Although not an official NHL statistic, Wayne also registered two “Gordie Howe hat-tricks” (a goal, an assist and a fight in one game) – an example of the spark and skill he brings to the Flyers, as the NHL season approaches the midway point.
The Scarborough, ON native came into this season ready to contribute after spending short stints in both the 2nd Eishockey-Bundesliga (Germany) with Crimmitschau ETC and with Liberec Bili Tygri HC of the Czech Extraliga where he played a combined 15 games.
Known to teammates as “Simmer”, the 6'2", 183 lbs. power forward possesses great speed and a scoring touch that fits nicely with his ability to get under his opponents skin. Since joining the Flyers in 2011-12, his enthusiasm and energy have proved to be a valuable asset to a team that finished with 103 points last season and is looking to win their first Stanley Cup since 1975.
- In 2011-12, his first season with the Flyers, Simmonds played in all of the teams 82 games recording 28 goals, 21 assists and 49 points, while also adding six points in 11 playoff games
- Represented team Canada in the 2008 World Junior Championships where he captured a gold medal
- In 2011 he was traded along with Brayden Shenn and a second-round draft pick in 2012 from the Los Angeles Kings to the Flyers for Mike Richards and Rob Bordson
- Born in Scarborough, Ontario, Canada on August 26, 1988
- Drafted in the 2nd round, 61st overall by the Los Angeles Kings in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft
- Played two seasons of minor hockey in the Ontario Hockey League with the Owen Sound attack (2006-07/2007-08) and Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (2007-08)
- Signed a six-year contract extension with the Flyers in August 2012